Thursday 14 July 2022

Well I am on holiday…that’s my excuse.

 Succumbed to the excellent Falmouth bookshop and terrific second hand bookshop on the corner-

Fascinating ww2 bbc book which I could not resist. Perhaps it will lead to further reading on the subject, maybe pamphlets of the period etc. Tank book not cheap but been looking for a reasonable priced copy for years. Terrific photos of home guard conversions and improvisations. Interesting article on the Romans in the Scilly Isles.
The Falmouth Bookshop provided me with yet another tote bag as well as this anthology of short stories. Book has lovely ( if that is the correct word) Lino cuts as illustrations. I am a bit of a sucker for the folk horror thing and would like to introduce it more into my gaming. Loved Midsommer for example. 
Probably need to post these home😊


15 comments:

  1. Who needs excuses for buying books?
    When I have travelled to the UK I end up with a suitcase loaded down with books purchased at the various used book shops there. I do try to limit it to books I wouldn't likely find over here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Empty suitcase, way too tempting an idea. I will instantly forget it.
      Alan Tradgardland

      Delete
  2. I've been trying to find The Great Tank Scandal online; (I did find a version but the presentation makes it nearly unreadable). I may have to resort to interlibrary loan at this point. Hope you like it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, looking great so far.
      Alan Tradgardland

      Delete
  3. Second hand bookshops are my favorite places.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean, the joy of the hunt and the unearthing of treasures long sought after.
      Alan Tradgardland

      Delete
  4. Good news. The tank book and part two have recently been reprinted by the Tank Museum https://tankmuseumshop.org/products/the-great-tank-scandal

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The BBC book is excellent and clips of the series can be found on Youtube - not sure its ever been on DVD. The team who did this also did The Victorian Garden series which is on DVD.

      There are some excellent reprints (many from around the 70th Anniversary WW2 around from 2009-10) of the Ministry Of Food / Dig for Victory leaflets and also the books by C.H. Middleton

      Delete
    2. Most useful information Mark. Many thanks for it.
      Alan Tradgardland

      Delete
  5. Hope you are having a great time. Lovely haul of books. We were at Bovington the other day for Tank Day (my oldest son is based there at the moment). I too like the Folk Horror thing (especially in miniature), but I can't handle some of the newer films in the genre.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tank day sounds great. Trip has gone well. Think the Silver Bayonet may get a solo outing soon.,.

      Delete
    2. P.S which films can’t you handle, I am intrigued
      Alan Tradgardland

      Delete
  6. I'd recommend The Spade as mighty as the sword by Daniel Smith, the story of the dig for victory campaign, an excellent read.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I will look out for that book , sounds interesting.
    Alan Tradgardland

    ReplyDelete
  8. Belated but sincerest congratulations. You must be very proud of such a fabulous trio of girls as, indeed, your photos show.
    Ronnie

    ReplyDelete