Sunday 31 December 2023

Reading

 I’ve never been a fan of new year , even as a youth. Always glad to see it past and one can get on with things. Can’t think when l last stayed up for the Bells! Anyway l have armed myself with some reading material to see me through to the other side-

I picked up the planner today. I have too many gardening books already but buying this was an attempt to kick start my gardening in the coming year. I need to plan more and do more. Goodness knows what Jan would think. It has got a tad away from me. Next year hopefully it will change…
A Wargames magazine as we divertissement. Some interesting articles especially about the forthcoming medieval skirmish game Ruckus .
The Age of Arthur was a treat and not a cheap one at that. Excellent background on the period plus army lists. I am looking at the skirmish end of things, knowing that the lead pile contains 28mm Picts, somewhere! 
The second is the English language edition of “ Voie Libre “ a beautifully produced French model railway magazine. Even the paper says quality. A joy to hold as well as to read.


5 comments:

  1. Not a fan of New Year either , all a bit false somehow , in reality the year started on the winter solstice

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hard pressed to think of anyone who actually likes Hogmanay!!!!!
    But let me wish you and the girls a most wonderful 2024.
    See ya soon (Romans on the painting desk)
    Ronnie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoy your reading, plenty to keep you occupied, Hogmanay is one of the only times I have a drink these days, a mate pops up and we shoot the breeze and listen to music of our youth. Have a good new year when it comes and hopefully 2024 will be a good one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don’t celebrate New Year like I used to. I always found it fun, even if the way I celebrated changed over the years. These days my ‘celebration’ is not much more than finishing off the wine, maybe catching Jools Holland’s Hootenanny and letting the old year out and the new in. The last custom I keep mainly in honour of my mother who used to do it. In those days on the front doorstep we could often hear ships horns from vessels in Grimsby docks or on the Humber.
    Whatever you do, have a good one.
    Chris/Nundanket

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy New Year. The WHAB book is the only one I have of your interesting reading pile. I did get a new book - mainly photos - on hill farming in the Lakes, Dales etc. with a reminder of the countryside I've moved away from and including people and places I know. Surprisingly emotional.
    Stephen
    It's called, "Hill Farming in the North of England" by John Bentley and was a surprise gift from my wife. Lots of new "uniform" details if I need to paint more sheep!

    ReplyDelete