Monday 11 December 2023

Sunday wander

 Yesterday saw me in Edinburgh en route for church. We are moving to another building in the new year so I decided to walk for the last time but by a different route. Here are the photos recording the wee walk-

Sustenance taken at Cairngorm coffee where I got off the bus.
Under this hotel was the Caley station my father used to go to and from work on. I believe it was a seven minute journey to and from Slateford. More info here-


Up Lothian road past the Usher Hall. I liked the 18th century hairstyles on this poster.
Through this gate into the Meadows…
Across the Meadows looking towards Arthur’s seat.
Construction work going on with the above interesting signage on the hoardings round the site.
The Sick Kids hospital ( now moved out from the centre of town to a new site and buildings) being demolished and transformed to become expensive housing. 
Finally arriving at St Columba’s. An enjoyable walk prior to torrential rain coming in later in the day.


6 comments:

  1. I found the piece about the railway station interesting. You think of the loss of small rural stations but not of big city ones. Seems sad somehow.
    Stephen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know exactly what you mean.
      Alan Tradgardland

      Delete
  2. I do enjoy pottering around Edinburgh, especially when I drop into the old pubs. I love the history of the place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a wonderful city to explore both for the locals and the visitor. In my case you can take the man out of Edinburgh but not Edinburgh out of the man.
      Alan Tradgardland

      Delete
  3. The Caely building looks stunning. Now a model inspired by that would grace any Imagination city.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Quite agree on both fronts …
    Alan Tradgardland

    ReplyDelete