Sunday 1 May 2022

Enough is enough…

 It has grown over time for very reasonable reasons. I’ve been looking at stuff and also sorting it, a bit. However this pile in the corner cannot continue-


It needs to be sorted and more importantly not added to. I am been musing of late how fortunate l am in terms of the hobby stuff I own and more importantly in the hobby folk I know. I have also come to a conclusion that the ducal war chest needs not to be raided so often. I may fancy more but I don’t need it. EBay, Amazon etc is just too easy. I have more projects than I have time or energy for. So I am attempting to draw a line and stop adding to the Lead/Plastic mountain for now. It means I will concentrate on what I have rather than getting caught up in things shiny , new and tempting. 

Practically I want to see if I can set a budget ( say £20 monthly for paints etc and the odd purchase to facilitate finishing or furthering projects) and stick to it. Secondly l want to get rid of things I know  I will not use. This will probably be by means of something I did before- you pay the postage from me to you then donate to a charity of your choice as a payment for the lead/plastic. Anyway we will see how we get on with this so it is not a tyranny but rather a way out the woods…

Finally some projects to be dipped into and out of in the coming months-

Firstly Eric has very kindly indeed recruited some opposition for my Chinese. I am looking forward to getting them ready for action as well as introducing the Chinese to some excellent additions to their arsenal in the shape of artillery, can’t wait! Secondly l have backed a kickstarter that will be my third foray into Middle Earth. More on this anon. Finally l am going to try and make sure I have some game on the go and endeavour the gaming table doesn’t look like this-


It should not be a dumping ground but rather an inspiration and a game to be picked up as and when…

All that remains is to wish you a Happy May Day ( and bank holiday if you get it off) and thank each and everyone for their splendid company on my hobby road…

P.s I forgot to say that I am going to try very, very , very hard not to buy more books for the Ducal Library at the moment. I haavvee ssuucchh a loonngg backlog of books to do justice to.

The sun has just come out as I finish writing this on MayDay morning and just before I go off down the road…



17 comments:

  1. I have a similar big pile of stuff I keep looking at and saying "Enough!" - I suspect most Wargamers do. Have a good May Day

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will be flexible and not get rid of anything with potential which I might wish to return to in the future.
      Alan

      Delete
  2. You have the wrong idea. What you really need to do is find some cupboard space, hide everything then leave for 5-10 years. A decade or two really lends perspective to lead piles!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean. I only hid stuff last year and am finding things l completely forgot about..
      Alan

      Delete
  3. Going through boxes recently I found unpainted figures that I haven't the vaguest recollection of buying.
    Very best wishes for your resolution.
    Ronnie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Your first comment rings so true for me..
      Alan

      Delete
  4. Alan- I've found that having one Project at a time helps to get it done...I've boxed up the things that are not on the to do list and hid them away- out of sight- out of mind. Regards. KEV.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am too much of a butterfly,l like to do a wee bit then do something else. Sometimes l am in the mood for 54mm figures sometimes 28mm etc etc…
      Alan

      Delete
  5. Wargaming encourages another "hobby" of hoarding!
    I've had similar thoughts of decluttering but am afraid of the potential regrets involved in getting rid of something only to later realise I should have kept it. I still regret selling or giving away armies from over 30 years ago!
    Books is another issue altogether; I've ended up buying books I sold for minimal money several years previously.
    Neil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know exactly what you mean ! I have had similar experiences.
      Alan

      Delete
  6. It is SO easy to purchase things nowadays , I've recently sold off my 28mm ACW collection and have an eye on getting rid of things I don't play with regularly .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Far , far too easy, it doesn’t help. I am trying to review things . Some like semi flats I couldnt replace even if I wanted to so I need to think very carefully about my niche stuff.

      Delete
  7. Hits home for me, too. The trouble for me is when tables and desks and everything become so cluttered I find it kind of disheartening/discouraging to do anything. At the same time I am also wary about getting rid of stuff, and also find myself being tempted by all sorts of additional ideas for various projects. I really need to get better organized.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Resonates with me what you say. I can’t believe the room taken up by the books I dug up from the pile in the photo…
      Alan

      Delete
  8. I'm going through a bit of a declutter myself for my wargaming collection. I have done a few over the years. I find it an absolutely worthwhile experience. Very little can't be replaced if you should find that you need something you let go. Enjoy the process and the freedom to focus that it brings!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Encouraging words. Trouble is the more unique stuff…

    ReplyDelete
  10. What is this ‘enough’ concept?

    ReplyDelete