Friday 17 April 2020

A little light cartography etc

This moleskin notebook was given to me ten years ago. I mainly use it for writing down hobby jottings and plans. Yesterday I decided to try and map very roughly my initial thoughts for my Tony Bathesque zinnfiguren campaign. I found the process to be absorbing and although I am not good at drawing at all I was quite pleased with the results-
I debated what each country would be called but in the end  I stuck with simple names as at times I get mixed up with exotic names. Having spent  most of my ancient wargaming avoiding playing against non historical opponents it was really liberating to  leave that behind for this project and let imagination go wild . So here goes version 1-
Lurland- Late Scandinavian Bronze Age in terms of material culture .
West Mark- vaguely Roman looking , the remains of a once proud empire fallen on hard times.
East Mark- Frankish, Carolingian feudal in nature,haughty proud nobility.
The Tribes- Gallic/Celtic / Germanic barbarians who squabble a lot amongst themselves and beyond.
South of the the West Mark is still to be decided ( suggestions please)
Land of Flowers- well organised newcomers to the area with highly organised society, an unusual take on warfare, liking for chocolate drinks and a penchant for cities on lakes.
The Great River- main trade route for goods of all kinds. Its length sees vineyards , trading communities and petty castles in the hands of competing warlords.

And that’s it so far. Basic forces have been recruited  ( and still en route) in the form of  second hand and new flats, some painted and some to paint. Your comments are welcomed as ever.




20 comments:

  1. South of the West Mark looks likely to be closer to the Equator. A warm to HOT climate, olive groves, crumbly old temples on hill tops, the scent of wild thyme, a madly militaristic society a bit like the Spartans...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that is well worth thinking about although I tend to prefer the earlier ones with boars tusk helmets, chariots and mazes. We shall see...

      Delete
  2. I love the idea you are working on. It reminds me of some of my own thoughts about imagi-nations that arose after I read the Conan stories. I never went anywhere with it ... but perhaps I should have.

    South of the West Mark looks like the sort of place that a Moorish/North African/Carthaginian nation might exist.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bob, perhaps you still could...
      Interesting thoughts re South of the West Mark...

      Delete
  3. Looks like fun! The map is a darn sight better than my drawing but its an enjoyable exercise and certainly helps bring imaginary lands to life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. An enjoyable exercise indeed ,good fun on a dreich day.

      Delete
  4. This all looks great fun. As well as the suggestions South of the West Mark (suitable for desert nomads?) good to see that you have some further away colder climes on distant islands.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The distant isles with colder climes have possibilities for me, perhaps the land of Tin mining or further afield. Nomads are interesting possibilities although there are those Native American ones already to be fitted in as I have these figures from the previous post. Perhaps they will act as hun like peoples or I always liked the bison riding ones in Runequest . It is fun and that is so important currently for me, somewhere to pop off to in ones thoughts now and then. Much still enjoyably to plan.

      Delete
  5. Great looking plan. Some form of nomadic barbarians from the south would be a good balance to all of those settled places. Also, constant raids might account for the declining power of the West Mark.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the decline is a combination of decadence taking its toll ( I remember all those banquets in those fifties historical films I grew up with) and constant raids as you mention. I am pleased with the plan so far...



      Delete
  6. I love little hand drawn maps like this! Yours has a certain charm. Fairly simple. I like the way you did the mountains, forests, lettering and all. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comments, it was fun to do and I would certainly try another one..

      Delete
  7. Echoing all the above, that is a lovely little map... I look forward to seeing how this goes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I am keen to see where this takes me...

      Delete
  8. Are your Lurland Scandi Bronze Age population seaborne wolf raiders too? No Nordic horned helmet stereotypes obviously. Or are they home loving, design and craft orientated and peaceful with an advanced sense of Hygge?
    Looking again at your map reminds me of Noggin the Nog for some curious reason.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A compliment indeed re Noggin. Noggin has always been a favourite. I think the Lurlanders may be a tad occupied with their neighbours for hygge or raiding. Probably occupied with appeasing the gods and trundling the Sun Chariot around the fields to aid the crops. We shall see...

      Delete
  9. Mark, Man of TIN, I had the same feeling about Noggin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great minds think alike. Noggin is obviously embedded in my subconscious.

      Delete