Saturday 26 December 2020

Boxing Day morning

 It is still dark outside and the rest of the house is asleep. I have made a coffee, let it brew and am ready for a quiet day. At least until I run a greater family Zoom quiz tonight. Yesterday was a good if different Christmas Day. Gifts were well received and we had much to be thankful for. A different day, as I already said but a good one. 


I was delighted to get some interesting reading material. The Art Deco book and garden gift vouchers were from a greater family secret Santa thing and they chose well. The bird book is to deepen my knowledge of the garden birds who have become even more important to me since Lockdown began in March. Over the summer their presence was a delight and diversion, including the nesting blue tits back again. The 1940 book is to offer scenic advice especially for a Norwegian 1807 project.

I had collected figures for my daughters to give me and I had almost forgotten about them so much so some were almost like a surprise. Firstly there are some 1807 Norwegian ski troops in 28mm , secondly some Belgians in 20mm ( possibly for Portable Wargame use or maybe skirmish games, we’ll see) and some 1/32 Finns in winter kit. Lastly two games were added to the household collection- a fun fast uno like card game we really enjoyed ( made us recall London holidays and look forward to future ones) and a detective board game we will enjoy in the coming days. I was really fortunate in my gifts.


 

11 comments:

  1. Sounds like a nice Christmas day and a good haul of pressies. Enjoy the quiet days while you may and have a great New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear you had a good day and got some toy soldiers as a pressy .

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent set of pressies! I can understand the comments about the garden birds...I have a couple of bird feeders not far from my desk and they're a great distraction when I'm meant to be working!

    ReplyDelete
  4. There's something about Art Deco (and to a lesser extent Art Nouveau) that I really like.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Santa has been kind to you Tradgardmastare.

    The cover of the Art Deco book is intriguing. Looks like a more glamorous version of the old bathing pool at Cleethorpes ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a nice selection, glad you had a good day. I have 'Setting the Scene' Mediterranean edition, which I thought would help with my D-Day Dodgers in Sunny Italy. It's impressive and I think it will be useful, though perhaps a bit beyond my modelling/painting skills!

    ReplyDelete
  7. An interesting haul of figures, games and books. On your next trip to Cornwall you will have to check out Jubilee Pool if you are anywhere near Penzance ( which has a rail station ) as its an Art Deco seasonal outdoor pool from the 1930s. Still functioning in season but going for geothermal energy heating.

    ReplyDelete
  8. An interesting haul of figures, games and books. On your next trip to Cornwall you will have to check out Jubilee Pool if you are anywhere near Penzance ( which has a rail station ) as its an Art Deco seasonal outdoor pool from the 1930s. Still functioning in season but going for geothermal energy heating.

    ReplyDelete
  9. An interesting haul of figures, games and books. On your next trip to Cornwall you will have to check out Jubilee Pool if you are anywhere near Penzance ( which has a rail station ) as its an Art Deco seasonal outdoor pool from the 1930s. Still functioning in season but going for geothermal energy heating.

    ReplyDelete