Sunday 14 February 2021

Researching a platoon for Very British Civil Wars: Mary Von Rosen’s Volunteers

Part of my degree was studying Ecclesiastical History and I have retained an interest over the years. I was particularly interested in the Anglo Catholic movement and the High Church tradition in different denominations. I used this interest to create the League of St Andrews which was published as background in one of Solway Craft and Miniatures books about the vbcw. Another kind of imagineering I guess.
Currently I am enjoying playing the vbcw via Zoom using went the day well rules. This is a Platoon level game and I wanted to get some figures organised to send to my regular opponent to use in the games. That’s where Mary Von Rosen and the Societas Sanctae Birgittae come in. This was a society formed by Mary and Eric Von Rosen ( for some real background. Follow this link
to read more of her ) In my imaginary vbcw I imagine her sending and financing  a Platoon of Volunteers ( equipped in a mix of Swedish army uniforms of various vintages and vehicles too ) to aid her friends in the Anglican League . They are commanded by her husband Eric ( interesting article about a film about him - https://mubi.com/notebook/posts/foreplays-3-peter-nestler-s-death-and-devil )
Anyway it is all made up , there was no vbcw nor Swedes volunteering in it. It is about making links and what might have been, in such a spirit here is the Von Rosen Platoon-




18 comments:

  1. Your platoon is forming up smartly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of the great things about the VBCW setting is being able to 'research' things that didn't exist and come up with interesting units. I field a Militia consisting of armed Lanarkshire Miners and a section of Hamilton Academicals football players!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is that in 28mm? What rules do you favour? The troops sound great especially the Accies.Any pictures?

      Delete
    2. Yes, there are some here...
      https://wargaminggallimaufry.blogspot.com/2018/08/mon-accies.html
      and here...
      https://wargaminggallimaufry.blogspot.com/2018/07/a-very-british-civil-war.html

      Delete
    3. Terrific stuff, really enjoyed seeing the figures!

      Delete
  3. Tradgardmastare,

    A very interesting unit! The VBCW is a great imaginary conflict, and one that I’ve often considered playing around with, although the last thing I need at present is another project!

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Go on Bob, you know you want to dip your toe into vbcw...

      Delete
  4. That’s the great thing about counter-factual histories. You can combine your various interests.

    Interesting that those Swedes have what appear to be tricorns.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A really interesting source of info
      http://adalenfigures.blogspot.com/2013/06/painting-guide-part-3-private-1910-1923.html
      Including Swedes in tricorns. So true what you say re counter factual histories.

      Delete
    2. Don’t know if you’ve seen this chap’s blog. He covers the Swedish army of the 30s and 40s.

      https://rollaone.com/2020/03/30/grognard-files-swedish-radio-and-dalarna-1943-more-progress/

      Delete
    3. I have but thanks for mentioning it. It is an excellent blog.

      Delete
  5. A nice bit of background. I'll have to roll out my VBCW stuff again one of these days.

    ReplyDelete
  6. There was a sourcebook around for an Australian version of VBCW at one stage, but sadly I think it's out of print. The bits I saw looked fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not to mention some lovely figures from Eureka too.

      Delete
  7. I hope we'll see these in action at your friend's.
    I'm glad nundanket asked about the tricornes.

    I've wondered about a 19th century VBCW over the issue of disputing the succession of Victoria on the grounds of not losing Hanover. British figures from the 1st Carlist War, Opium War, 1st Sikh War [i.e. 1830s and 1840s figures] could make a colourful variant.

    Stephen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stephen, what a terrific idea, I would really like to see it. So tempted to have a go but will resist! Do tell us more about your idea, fascinating.

      Delete