Saturday 16 September 2023

Chhanges…

 Yesterday my last born moved into her new flat. The rain teemed down as we loaded the van yesterday evening. Today we were due to have my uncle and aunt over to view my father’s cinefilms from the 1960s and 70s .These were transferred to VHS and subsequently onto Dvd. Here is an image I found on the internet of what I can remember the camera looking like-

He documented family holidays, birthdays, Christmases and more. My uncle has never seen the films or probably more likely has forgotten them being shown on a projector over fifty years ago. My Subuteo games are there somewhere along with Action Men and more besides. Sadly little or no footage of toy soldiers . And so we were due to gather here today to wallow in the remembrance of times past but a bug hit the household over night and I had to cancel. Yes we hope to reschedule but my uncle is getting frailer and changes were not what anyone needed or wanted. Soon hopefully.
My email inbox and its contents informed me today that it is a hundred days to Christmas, information I could have lived without. 
Finally Thursday saw me getting round to unpacking a final box containing some of the late Eric Knowles’s Ottoman artillery, transport and cavalry. Fascinating finds lay within-
Much more on this when I collate what I have and begin to work how how to take these forward in my gaming whilst respecting the organisation, labelling and modelling of Eric Knowles, something I am more than keen to do. Here is a brief taster-




 


 



6 comments:

  1. Tradgardmastare,

    I hope that your daughter enjoys her new flat.

    Sorry to read about illness striking your family, and I hope that everyone gets better soon.

    Eric’s collections always contained all sorts of odd units, some of them being converted from figures that one would not have expected, For example, a group of turban-wearing swordsmen who were converted from Minifig LOTR orcs and the famous ‘West Ham’ Arab cavalry (they were pained in claret and light blue) that formed part of the irregular Arab army on Madasahatta. I’m sure you’ll get loads of enjoyment sorting through your Ottoman figures and then using them.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bob, feeling much better already. I love the quirky nature of things generally and find Eric Knowles’s fascinating in this particular regard. Excellent anecdotes, I would love to read more…
      The box l have just unpacked has some fascinating uses of figures and transport from other periods . I hope to feature these in both blog posts and in games….
      Alan Tradgardland

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. You ain’t seen nothing yet…
      Alan Tradgardland

      Delete
  3. That "taster" looks amazing! Bring on the next course!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm impressed by the use of a chariot as a limber for a gun!

    ReplyDelete